Theme of the Week: Qualified to Coach
Bible Verse: “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 2 Corinthians 10:5
Scripture Reading: Psalm 103:1-22
Coaches and players know the value of watching game tapes of their opponents. They look for how plays are executed and weaknesses within the team. As they learn about their opponent, they put a game plan together that will help them win the game.
In light of the identity crushers – Significant Others, Satan, Sin and Self – we need a game plan to overcome our opponent.
1. Take Your Thoughts Captive to Christ
The verse for today gives us one part of the game plan: Take our thoughts captive to Christ. When our opponent or the old voices of our past begin to speak the lies into our ears, we need to take them to Christ and release them to Him.
2. Know the Truth
We need to know the truth of how God sees us in order to counter the lies. Here are a few verses for you to use:
- Genesis 1:26-27 — We are created in God’s image.
- Psalm 139:13-14 — We are fearfully and wonderfully made.
- Romans 8:15-16 — We are his sons.
- Galatians 4:4-6 — As a result of being his sons, we now have the full rights of sonship.
- Romans 8:37 — We are more than conquerors.
- 2 Corinthians 1:22 — Christ’s seal of ownership has been placed on us.
- Ephesians 2:10 — We are God’s workmanship.
3. Have a Healthy Perspective of Sin and Forgiveness
We need to have a healthy perspective of sin and God’s forgiveness. If we don’t understand how God could (would) love us enough to continue to forgive us, we will always wrestle with our identity when we sin. We will agree we are like Paul when he says he is a wretched man (Romans 7:24).
But we need to move beyond that to understanding Romans 8:1, “There is no condemnation for those who belong to Jesus.” When God forgives, he chooses to not remember our sins (Isaiah 43:25).
They are forever gone.
Copyright © 2021 Impactus | Promise Keepers Canada. All rights reserved.