Theme of the Week: Praying for Others
Bible Verse: “Pray continually.” 1 Thessalonians 5:17
Scripture Reading: 1 Timothy 2:1-4
Ready to stand in the gap for others?
When you start thinking about who you can pray for, the list is probably long. In addition to that, there are prayer needs you know for each person. This whole thing just lengthens the list to the point of possibly overwhelming you.
Keep in mind that God already knows all the people on your list and all their needs. Instead, ask God to reveal to you who and what to intercede for. Listen carefully to the Holy Spirit and be open to hearing his voice continually while you are connecting with someone.
In the meantime, pray for family, friends, neighbours, and coworkers, and follow this template if you need help to get started. Use the five letters of the word BLESS to help you remember ways to intercede for them.
- B Body – pray for health, protection, strength, fitness (Mathew 6:33)
- L Labour – pray for jobs, income, financial security (Colossians 3:23-24)
- E Emotional – pray for joy, peace, patience, self-control (Isaiah 26:3)
- S Social – pray for marriage, family, friends, love, forgiveness (Ephesians 4:32)
- S Spiritual – pray for salvation, spiritual growth, grace, hope (Psalm 34:8)
This is known as the BLESSing Prayer, and it is simply a guideline for intercession, to start building the walls as you stand in the gap.
The Bible requires us to intercede for people who are not saved. (1 Timothy 2:1-4) How can we pray for those who are unsaved? Pray that:
- the unsaved will be drawn by the Father. (John 6:44)
- those who hear the gospel will understand it. (Matthew 13:19)
- unbelievers’ eyes will be opened so that they can see the light. (2 Corinthians 4:4)
Would you care more if it were your own children or family members who are unsaved? All unsaved persons are wayward sons and daughters of God’s family. God does not want “anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9)
Copyright © 2020 Impactus | Promise Keepers Canada. All rights reserved.