Theme of the Week: Seeking First the Kingdom
Bible Verse: “You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.” Deuteronomy 6:7
Scripture Reading: Deuteronomy 6:1-15
Crisis moments often cause us to face serious doubts and fears. At the end of last week, we talked about how Jesus wants us to turn our focus from survival into obedience. His call is that we seek first the Kingdom of God, and He will take care of the needs in our life. This week, we are going to see how crisis moments also lead to opportunity as we explore what it means to seek first God’s Kingdom in our lives.
If you have children still at home, you are likely spending more time in the same space than you have in years. If your children are grown and living on their own, it does not change the opportunity to stay connected with them, especially in this age of technology.
Deuteronomy 6 gives very clear instruction to families and the role you have as a father. God gives us the calling of building families who have one purpose in mind – to love God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your might. It is important for your family to be a place of fun and great relationships. It is more important for your family to love God.
During this time of COVID-19, here are some ways you can seek first God’s Kingdom as a family:
- Make sure your family stays connected with worship, the Bible, and fellowship with others.
- Talk about each other’s fears and concerns. Pray together and for each other.
- Share Bible verses with each other. Memorize Bible verses together.
- Look for God’s blessings and thank Him together as a family.
- Talk together about other people who may be in need. Ask how you can work together to help those people during this time. Pray together for those in need.
- Look at how you still spend your money. Are you willing to keep financially supporting the mission of Jesus, even if it means you need to cancel your cable TV package for a period?
God’s desire for Israel, and us, is that seeking first the Kingdom of God as a family becomes a normal part of the rhythm of our lives. The forced isolation we find ourselves in is an opportunity for all of us to build new or stronger lifestyles of loving God in and through our families.
Copyright © 2020 Promise Keepers Canada | Impactus. All rights reserved.