Theme of the Week: Living Victoriously
Bible Verse: Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. Colossians 3:12-13 NIV
Scripture Reading: Ephesians 4:32, Matthew 6:14
The verse today is clear about what we need to be doing. It’s not a suggestion, more of a command. I know this isn’t the fun part of victorious living, but it is very important. If we don’t forgive others, we risk missing out on God’s best for us. Here are some bullet point thoughts – but don’t rush too quickly through them.
Three Quick Thoughts on Unforgiveness:
- Unforgiveness is a powerful tool of the enemy that hinders us from living victoriously.
- Unforgiveness creates strongholds in our lives that the enemy uses to launch other attacks from.
- Unforgiveness is like drinking poison, hoping the other person gets sick. It only harms you.
So, if unforgiveness has power, forgiveness must have some as well!
- Forgiveness is obedience, and obedience releases God’s blessing on your life.
- Forgiveness is freedom. Forgiving someone isn’t saying what they did is right, it’s simply saying you won’t let unforgiveness take any more time in your life than it already has. You are free from carrying the heaviness that comes from holding on to an offense.
- Forgiveness is faith-building. When you forgive someone, you experience God’s faithfulness. He heals, comforts, and restores us from the pain the offense has caused.
Living victoriously in Christ cannot have unforgiveness present. We can’t give the enemy any room in our lives for spiritual strongholds. Forgiveness is an important way to ensure he doesn’t have control.
Prayer: Thank you, Jesus, for forgiving me first. Help me, Lord, to forgive others the way you forgive me. Please speak to my heart about offenses I may have caused and give me strength to make it right.
Reflection: Am you holding unforgiveness in your heart? Who do you need to talk to about that?
Copyright © 2023 Impactus | Promise Keepers Canada. All rights reserved.