You feel it. Something builds inside you every time you go to the grocery store, gas station, or open up your mail. It’s the feeling of being overwhelmed as the price of everything continues to rise while your income doesn’t. One of the greatest desires we all have is financial security. Yet, according to a study released in January , 46% of Canadians are $200 away from financial insolvency. In addition to this, 31% of Canadians do not make enough money to cover their bills and debt payments. Financial security for a very large number of people is simply a myth.
It is very easy to feel overwhelmed, and to live in fear when this is happening. How can we manage if we find ourselves in this type of situation?
- Remember who God is. He already owns everything. (Psalm 24:1,2)
- Remember who you are. You are God’s child. He promises to supply all of your needs. (Philippians 4:19)
- Take inventory of your financial reality. Are you living according to your needs, or are there a few things that are more like personal wants? Remember, it’s not your money – it belongs to God.
- Build a financial plan for your family and ask someone to hold you accountable in sticking to it. I recommend connecting with Christians Against Poverty.
- Remember the needs of others. It seems to go against common sense, but learning to give to help the needs of others will give you greater purpose for managing your own money well. Think of how Jesus speaks highly of the woman who gave only a little, but gave everything she had (Mark 12:41-44).
We are living in some very challenging financial times for many people. I know people who have been able to bring themselves back from the edge of financial disaster. If you are feeling overwhelmed financially, hope can be found in God’s plan for finances. Financial security is a myth, but security from God is real.
If you have some stories of how you were able to manage some difficult financial circumstances, I would love to hear your tips in the comments section.
- 4 Principles to Teach Your Kids About Finances
- Podcast: Solving the Problems Money Is Creating In Your Marriage